My Favorite Analytical Instrument is...

Hey, welcome again!

I know you long to know about my research interests, and why I am so passionate about it. Well, being a constant reader and follower of my blog, I think you deserve to know. Basically, I am interested in exploring and exploiting the performance characteristics of biochar with bio-oil derived from pyrolysis/co-pyrolysis of biomass, as well as the co-pyrolysis of biomass with specific synthetic polymers.


You might be wondering- what is biochar, and why is it important? I have so much to discuss about it, but not this week. However, I would give a preamble to this. Biochar is a solid carbonaceous material produced by pyrolysis of biomass in an oxygen-deficient environment. 


In the long or short run, I will  have to make use of the Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) which happens to be my favorite analytical instrument



Scanning Electron Microscope





Parts of a Scanning Electron Microscope


What does it do, how does it work, and why would I require it?


In summary, SEM helps us to understand the topography, morphology and composition of a sample. It uses a beam of electrons to scan the chemical sample or material (in this case, the pyrolyzed biomass, i.e. biochar) with an eventual creation of an image, which requires an intelligent analyst to interpret.


The relevance of SEM in my research projects cannot be overemphasized. I hope that you have learned something. Please, tell me what you have learned in the comment section below.



Comments

  1. SEM uses a beam of electrons to scan the chemical sample

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Femi, thanks for breaking down the processes involved in the production of Biochar.

    Your write up is really fascinating, and I can't wait to read your next bulletin on Biochar

    Weldone

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is your Point of Zero Charge?

See What I Found After Oven-Drying

Shit Happened! So what?