Hey Ana, Come Closer: I have Something to Say

Hey, Ana! Check to see if no one is eavesdropping. 

As I was saying...


In fulfilment of the responsibility saddled to me and my other fresh colleagues in the department by the Graduate Coordinator; Dr. Wipf, I had mailed three other faculty members whose works draw my attention.

Well, prior to my arrival in Starkville, I had made up my mind I would do nothing else but Biochar. I had decided not to do any lab rotation until now, when Dr. Wipf mandated that every incoming graduate student should interview a minimum of three faculty members before a final commitment is made to work for a particular mentor. 

Today, I interviewed with Dr. Scott for 50 minutes. She did show a great deal of enthusiasm concerning her research interests and current projects. The one that catches my attention is the use of lignin-rich plant materials towards the synthesis of biodegradable plastics as well as coatings and adhesives. She is also into biochemical sensor and electrochromic aspects of polymer/organic chemistry.

I liked the fact that she took the time to let me see the reality of things; how one does not need to rush into research except there is at least an iota of interest, let alone passion in that area. You must be willing to learn in the process, with minimal supervision, she had said in effect.

So, just few minutes ago, I emailed her, informing that the above areas of research fascinate me, and that I do think that it coincides with Prof. Mlsna's projects on Biochar, in that his is centered on the use of biomass to make biochar for environmental applications, including soil amendment and water treatment. Meanwhile, Dr. Scott is interested in using biomass for the production of bioplastics.

I have asked about the possibilities of having two advisors. For now, I do not know. Biochar is my priority, and if there is a possibility of working with her on Bioplastics projects, that's certainly a plus!

As a researcher, while I keep on exploring what I could be good at, I must not stop exploiting opportunities that I could be good for.

This is all I have to say, for now. Thanks for listening. However, let me know what you think in the comment section below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is your Point of Zero Charge?

See What I Found After Oven-Drying

Shit Happened! So what?