My OP: Opportunity vs Priority

 Yes, that's my definition of OP.  It is not synonymous with the conventional Oral Proposal which is a prerequisite for advancing to PhD candidacy, at MSU.


OP: What is your Activation Energy?


Before briefly delving into why I made this post. I would love to mention that, in the previous week, I made some progress in my research. I have had to prepare stock solution of 5 ppm each of my analytes (As, Pb, Cd). I will be analyzing the Point of Zero Charge

In addition, using the muffle furnace I analyzed the ash content of the modified and pristine biochar, which are all in the range of 30-62%. I have kept the samples for later use, particularly for the next, which is mineral analysis. I have completed an instrumental training on TGA (Thermogravimetric Analysis). 

I am progressing, and this is true.

Yes, why am I talking about OP. As the subject refers; Opportunity vs Priority, which is what I am being presented every now and then in Grad school.


Usually, research work should begin 1.5-2 years after the graduate student is done with his or her coursework, and this means that s/he will likely graduate 2.5-3 years after. 

Starting research in the first semester of resuming graduate school means, you can graduate in 3-4 years, provided you pass the 6 of 16 cumulative exams early. Cumulative exams are exams written each month, announced three days before, and you have the option to choose a field of Chemistry you would like to explore for it. You have 16 months to pass 6. It's usually a PASS or FAIL grade. This is native to MSU, and perhaps few other schools in the States. And no one is exempted.


I was enjoying research last week when it dawned on me that I had another test: Instrumental Analysis.

I have done my first exam in Environmental Toxicology and had an alpha grade. However, Instrumental Analysis requires more meticulous study and constant revision than Environmental Toxicology. 

In grad school, A grade ranges from a score of 90-100; B: 80-89; C: 70-79. We are advised to always have at least a B- grade in order not to have a CGPA of less than 3.0/4.0 at any time. More importantly, in order not to lose our scholarship and studentship.

I come all the way from a poor community in Nigeria, and when I look at how far I have come, and why am I here, I realize I need to push more.

Now, the opportunity is, I can complete the PhD program in 3.5-4 years by doing research now. However, failing a coursework (that is, having a C grade at least) will catalyze losing studentship and scholarship.

My exam is on Wednesday, and I have decided to embrace Priority over Opportunity. I will get back to work by weekend. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is your Point of Zero Charge?

See What I Found After Oven-Drying

Shit Happened! So what?